WHRG Book Evaluation Rules
The WHRG follows some strict guidelines for determining a book's wholesome suitability. These are the steps we follow:
The main concern is the subject matter of the book. What is the plot? What is the featured theme? Say, for example, the book is about an art collector who lies and steals, then this, of course, would not be a wholesome read. On the other hand, if the book is about an explorer who finds lost artifacts in the jungle, this may be a wholesome read depending on the rest of the content.
If the subject of the book sounds like it will be good read, the next step is to pick it apart. Does it include lots of profane language? Does it detail romantic interactions? Does it include immorality (sexual relations outside of marriage)? If it does, it's not a wholesome read. If it only contains a very minor amount of cussing (it's extremely rare these days to find a book without at least one or two swear words), and perhaps a non-detailed romantic subplot, then it may be considered wholesome depending on Step 3.
If the book has passed the first two general tests, you need to scrutinize it in more detail. In order to arrive at a confident evaluation please follow these rules below:
- A book needs to contain fewer then five (5) swear words.
- A book is not allowed to detail any physical interaction (of a sexual kind) between characters.
- If a book contains a love story, it needs to encompass a very small portion of the book, and the relationship needs to be between a married couple, or between a couple who are planning to marry.
- A book is not to contain excessive bickering, or excessively poor attitudes between characters.
If the book has passed the last three steps, then congratulations! The book is probably considered wholesome by our WHRG standards. But, just to make sure, do another quick check of the content to jog your memory regarding anything you might have missed. If it passes this final test, you can feel free to suggest it to other group members.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO TAKE THIS TEST SERIOUSLY. MEMBERS OF THE WHRG HAVE JOINED THE GROUP BECAUSE THEY WANT TO FIND BOOKS THAT ARE TRULY WHOLESOME. THEY DEPEND ON ONE ANOTHER TO BE THOROUGH AND HONEST IN THEIR BOOK EVALUATIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. IT WOULD BE DISAPPOINTING AND DISCONCERTING FOR A GROUP MEMBER TO BEGIN READING A BOOK THAT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED, YET SOON STUMBLE UPON UNEXPECTED AND UNWANTED CONTENT. PLEASE DON'T LET EACH OTHER DOWN. THE BEST RULE TO STICK BY IS THIS: IF YOU DOUBT IT, DON'T RECOMMEND IT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND COOPERATION.
Main Group Rules (copied from the group page)
1) The use of vulgar and/or derogatory and/or racist and/or sexual language will not be permitted under any circumstance. Non-compliance with this rule will result in an immediate warning, or ban from this group.
2) This group is to be used for discovering good books, not as a forum for non-related topics i.e. political discussions, etc. If an individual chooses to engage in topic discussions not pertaining to the subjects approved by this group, s/he will receive a maximum of three (3) warnings. Non-compliance with the warnings will result in an immediate ban from this group for a length of time deemed appropriate by the administrator.
3) Remember, this group is for finding wholesome books and we have very strict guidelines regarding what we consider wholesome. Books that an individual may consider wholesome by his/her personal standards may, or may not be considered wholesome by the administrators of this group. The administrators are in no way obligated to feature a book that has been suggested. The WHRG administrators reserve the right to make final judgment as to the wholesome suitability of any and all books. To view our wholesome book evaluation rules, please visit our website.